Respond to each question with a yes or no.
- I view Jesus as the only one who can give me spiritual and eternal life with God. (I John 1:1-4)
- I understand God to be the ultimate and unique source of light and creation. (I John 1:5,6)
- I like other Christians. I enjoy hanging out and sharing life (fellowship) with other believers. (I John 1:7)
- I have an awareness of my own corruption, sins and my need for redemption. I know that I’m messed up. (I John 1:8)
- Jesus is the unique Savior and atoning sacrifice for the sins of the world. (I John 2:1,2)
- I do what Jesus says. My lifestyle is shaped by Jesus’ loving commands. I follow and obey Jesus. I renounce evil. (I John 2:3-6f)
- I love God and His eternal will for my life more than my lusts, pride, appetites, money or anything else. (I John 2:15-17)
- I deny false teachers and antichrists. God is my truth source. Jesus is God’s Messiah. I reject theological error. I love God’s truth. (I John 2:18-23)
- I’ll never let go of my relationship with God. I can’t and won’t deny Him. I persist in Him. (I John 2:24-29)
- God is my loving Father. God is returning to earth for me. I long for His Second Advent. I can’t wait to see Him in person. (I John 2:28-3:3)
- I sin but I can’t live with myself in my sin. I don’t practice my pet sins as a lifestyle. I fall into sin but I don’t dive into sin. (I John 3:4-10)
- I love my neighbors. I resist hatred. I oppose murder. I protect the innocent and unborn. (I John 3:11,12)
- I actually love other Christians – a lot! And I do very practical things to help them. (I John 3:13,18)
- The Spirit of Almighty God has been given to and lives in me! I know it and feel Him. He won’t let me get away from Him. (I John 3:24)
- I love hearing, reading, studying and talking about the teachings of Jesus’ Apostles – they keep me from deception. (I John 4:6)
- I talk about Jesus, with words – out load. I tell others (confess) that Jesus is the Lord and Savior of the world. (I John 4:15)
- I have confidence that my sins are forgiven. I’m not afraid of the judgement day. I know God’s has saved me. (I John 4:17-19)
- God reached out to me. I responded to His love. I love Him now because He loved me first! (I John 4:19)
- I enjoy being a Jesus follower. Being a believer isn’t a burden. The Jesus way wins. (I John 5:3-5)
- Jesus is the true God and eternal life. (I John 5:20)
This test is based on the letter of First John. There are more affirmations in first (1st), second (2nd) and third (3rd) John than appear here. Please read these letters yourself to learn more! (You can find the letters of 1, 2 & 3rd John near the end of the New Testament.)
This test is a response to 2 Corinthians 13:5 which says “Examine yourself to see if you are in the faith”. Hopefully you will continue to test yourself to see if you’re in Him. Please contact me if you want to talk about this more.
If you answered “no” to any question, you might not be a born-again Christian. If, deep down, you really want to be born anew from God and live as a dedicated follower of Jesus, please visit our Jesus page and dig in.